Saturday, October 11, 2008

haytime...sissys no need apply


yep, even wrangled this table into the truck...couldn't leave without it!

So it's the time of year to stock the barn up with hay. This is the crucial time as hay right now is like penny candy...plentiful and sweet. Wait a few months and it's slim pickin's for sure.
Today was two loads from my favorite picture-perfect 1700's local farm. One load of a dozen bales at a time as that's all hubby's sad pick up will hold. 80 lb. double bales that is. Surely a work out for the old gal. (that'd be me)
Funny, today reminded me of the summer my sister worked on a horse farm....her body formed with freakish, steroidish muscles from hefting the bales.
This was the summer she retained the nickname "Androgynous Pat" (vintage SNL)...as she blurred the gender lines with her bulging physique.

This was also the summer she really grew to despise her younger sister (that'd be me again) for the taunting names of the boyish persuasion.
So in my consorted effort to maintain my puny Olive Oyle-ish muscle tone I will not be hoisting any more bales than needed. I am not nor ever will be above playing the weak girl card.

3 comments:

Bethe said...

Harevest time already? (Temps are still in the high 80's here) I am missing the smell of apples, leaves, fire places and hay. I wonder if the Charlton House is still open. I used to love that resturant. BTW, my Email addy is changed. I ditched AOL and am now using Bogger myself & have a new Email addy. So if you don't reconize me...I'm Bethe Like I really have to tell you : )

Jennifer Lanne said...

Hey Bethe
yes, The Charlton House is still alive and kickin' and delicious as is the general store as well!

Unknown said...

I'm lovin' all your pics!