Monday, February 13, 2012

velvet revival


Velvet...the word just sounds plush and expensive.
It's no wonder that is used as an adjective.
"She had a voice like velvet"
"smooth like velvet"
"behind the velvet ropes"
And who can forget the creamy goodness Velveeta cheese?
I mean what could be better, I ask you?

Poor velvet the only time it gets a bad wrap is when it is used in conjunction with "Elvis" and "paintings"
But besides that is is just about my favorite verbalization.

So a no brainer that I love to incorporate it in my artwork.
It's a challenge to find the perfect snip of tattered velvet to trim the edge of a painting.
It needs equal parts of faded hue and fabulous fraying.
Nothing quite beats the texture and feel.




 


my favorite blue velvet pillow, totally worth the blue arm I sported carrying it around the flea market  caused by the fugitive dyes


2 comments:

Stephanie Lloyd said...

Remember the old Bobby Vinton song,
Blue Velvet?

She wore blue velvet (whoa whoa)
Bluer than velvet was the night (whoa whoa whoa)
Softer than satin was the light
From the stars
And on her arms
From the dye (whoa whoa whao)
Got in my eye
And now they're blue, too (boohoo)

No, I don't remember that version, either!

LivingVintage said...

I love your velvet pillows, first of all. I got to tell you that.

Secondly, 'velvet' has a special place in my heart because I once had an aunt named Velvet (named after the movie, National Velvet.) She was a beautiful, kind lady and my favorite aunt and she died of cancer when I was 21.